About the beneficiary
A project of Don Bosco Educational Projects, Laura Vicuna Educational Centre (LVEC) was established with a view of creating an opportunity for the children from Finetown to receive some form of education.
- LVEC offers basic primary / elementary education to the beneficiaries.
- The learners at the centre are really marginalised to the extent that some do not have birth certificates and other official documents which creates a challenge when they seek enrollment in main stream schools.
- Many of the learners are the children of refugees and migrants from neighbouring countries such as Lesotho, Zimbabwe and Mozambique.
- Currently the centre has roughly 250 learners enrolled in grades 1 – 7.
- Upon completion of Grade 7 [elementary education] learners are suitably placed into government schools for completion of their high school education.
- The Centre has availed two classrooms for use by the Department of Education, in order that members of the community may attend Adult Education & Training [AET] classes to complete or upgrade their High School Diploma.
AAAKEE enlisted the centre in 2017 to assist with food, groceries, uniforms on a regular basis.